Sunday, July 29, 2007

I go to the hills when my heart is lonely...

I'm pretty sure those are the right lyrics from "The Sound of Music!" It's been a long time since I watched that movie, plus I think I may be sloughing brain cells at this point! ;-) But if I don't have the lyrics quite right, the sentiment is true. I love mountains, always have. Drop me anywere, and if there's a bump in the landscape, I'll head for it. One of the reasons I've long been fascinated by the Himalaya. I have only been there in my imagination, through videos and books, and a story my friend Iain told me about his visit to Nepal years ago. He'd go on day treks (which sounds really fun to me), and spend the rest of the time in the lobby of his hotel, which he said had a huge floor-to-soaring-ceiling glass wall looking out over the incredible Himalayan peaks. Iain would return from a trek and sit there in that lobby drinking chai and just soaking in that view. Sounds like a pretty decent way to spend a day to me!

Anyway, as another "getting to know me" post, I thought I'd share my Big Horn Mountains with you. They're no Himalayas, but they're my beautiful back yard and I adore them...
Climb the mountains
and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you
as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you,
and the storms their energy,
while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
~ John Muir
bighorns

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky, the mountains are beautiful!!

I went to college in Idaho, many years ago ... I miss the Rockies.

Laloofah said...

The Rockies are easy to miss! I miss "my" mountains when I'm gone. Though I wouldn't mind living in the Alps someday! :-)

By the way, Bella, if you liked my last post with the prayer flags, you're gonna LOVE my next one! I'd better get it ready...